I’ve been enjoying this smoothie for about 3-5 days per week for a long time. I tweak ingredients every now and then but the recipe below is a good standard approach THAT WORKS. I use it for breakfast most days. Sometimes I’ll use it as a recovery drink after a bike ride or run (as I am doing right now!).
- 1 banana: very ripe and ideally frozen (peel before you freeze!)
- 3 heaping tablespoons vegan protein (I custom order from Trueprotein.com with a blend of non-GMO hemp, rice and pea proteins. You can also try Life Time’s Life Basic Blend or Vega’s Smoothie Infusion).
- 2 tablespoons Udo’s Oil
- 1 level tablespoon Garden of Life Perfect Food green powder (any brand or powdered greens will do)
- 12 ounces of water
Blend everything together and enjoy.
This recipe will yield:
- 500 calories
- ~20 grams of high quality vegan protein
- ~30 grams of high quality fats and fatty acids
- ~30+ grams of carbohydrates, with plenty of fiber
- Boatload of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in a highly digestible form
If you’re first reaction is “holy crap that’s a ton of fat…there’s no way I’m gonna drink all that fat!”…don’t worry. I challenge anyone to consume this drink on a regular basis and gain any extra fat on their gut or behind. In fact, chances are you’ll shed a bunch of pounds. High quality fats are high quality fuel. Udo’s Oil is some of the best stuff around, and they recommend taking 1 tablespoon per 50 pounds of bodyweight daily. I use just 2 tablespoons in my smoothie and try to get other good fats in through whole foods (coconut butter, avocados, etc.). If you have an especially brutal training day or work day ahead of you, add 1-2 additional bananas to give you the extra fuel to power through (make sure they are super ripe to ease digestion).
Things I bet you’ll notice after consuming this drink regularly:
- Fewer hunger cravings – especially if you drink it in the morning
- Stable energy levels and no “afternoon crash”
- Better endurance
- Better skin, hair and nails (I’ve seen a noticeable difference)
Give this smoothie a shot – try it three days in a single week at least, ideally in the morning – and drop a note in the comments to let me know how you feel.